Villa Sebali Bali
This beautiful, very spacious villa on the edge of Sebali, a pretty village just outside Ubud, is a luxurious haven from which to enjoy both the peace and the delights of Bali. The views from the house are of typical rice terraces and, in the distance, spectacular Mt Agung and the dramatic mountains towards the north of the island. We have been careful to be environmentally sensitive – green – with many eco-features including solar power and water heating, and a beautiful garden with organically grown fruit trees.
Villa Sebali is just 15 minute’s drive from the centre of Ubud, the cultural and artistic heart of Bali. All on good roads, half the drive is through typical villages, beautiful rice fields and tropical forest, and half past interesting art galleries, antique and craft shops, and restaurants. Ubud is about one and a quarter hours drive from the airport.
The house is built round three sides of a grassy, flower-ringed courtyard, with the fourth side an infinity pool looking down over a cascade of lotus and water-lily ponds to the orchard. It has four very special bedroom suites and combines the luxury of air-conditioned bedrooms with the delight of open air living. There is a fully equipped kitchen, a library/games room and a table tennis room. We have included many environmentally-friendly features, from the thick, alang-alang roofs which provide wonderful insulation, to solar powered water heating and electricity systems, and natural waste water treatment, with the resultant clean water used in the garden to supplement the water running off from the rice field channels above us. We also have our own well and have tested the water which is of high quality, unpolluted by industrial and other contaminants.
Water heating is solar (except for two bathrooms where we could not hide the equipment so use efficient on-demand gas instead), as is some of the electricity, with the balance coming from the grid. The house has a highly insulating alang-alang (thatch) roof. Although all bedrooms and the library have air-conditioning installed, we hope the relatively high position of the house and the big windows shaded by the eaves will mean it is little used.
The garden and orchard are maintained on organic principles, and guests may help themselves to any fruit in season. The ponds and pools all have flowing water and are stocked with fish which, along with the many dragonflies, frogs and birds, help control the insect population.
The house and garden are not suitable for very young children, but wheelchair accessibility can be arranged.
In keeping with local tradition, the house has been blessed with the appropriate ceremonies at various stages, and a lady from the village comes in every day to make the house offerings.
Ubud is a centre for many spiritual and alternative activities, and yoga and massage etc can be arranged at the house. Details on these and other treatments, spas, etc is available in the house guests’ information pack. There is more about these and other sporting, leisure and health.
Villa Sebali has many ponds and a big swimming pool so guests bring young children at their own risk. The villa can be made wheelchair accessible.
The villa has six full time staff: three in the house including a cook, two gardeners and a night security guard. Our house staff will prepare your breakfasts, maintain the house and rooms immaculately, and be on hand to aid and advise you. There are many things to do and see – artistic, sporting, cultural, spiritual and purely self-indulgent – within easy reach.
Green, quiet, fragrant Villa Sebali is a wonderful place to spend your vacation on Bali.
Villa Sebali Accommodation
The house is approached by a fern-shaded path leading from the front courtyard with space for three or four cars. Over an ornamental pool and into the main building.
- Dining areaspacious and equipped for up to 12 at table. It is open to the garden at one side and has two steps down to the living area. At the side is the.
- Kitchen fully equipped with large fridge-freezer and permanent chilled drinking water.
- Living Area an enormous room open to the garden with ample seating and many art works
All the above areas have rich terra-cotta colored floor tiles, a lovely combination of warmth for the eye and coolness for the room.
Guest cloakroom and WC.
Stairs lead from the living area to
- Sky bedroom suite: vast, with a fantastic cathedral ceiling and flower-edged terraces facing all four points of the compass with views to die for!. A large dressing area leads to the bathroom which is partly open air with wash basin, WC, bath, separate shower. One of its four terraces is covered and has seating for relaxing and admiring the garden and view.
From the living area a lobby leads to the south wing with
- Forest bedroom suite: equipped with twin beds which can also be joined to make one king size bed. The dressing area leads to the shower room with wash basin and separate WC. A door leads through to the
- Library: an enchanting rotunda which can also be reached directly by steps from the garden. Equipped with flat screen TV, books, games and comfortable seating, this room can either be used as a sitting room for the Forest Bedroom, or as a communal room for all guests.
Again from the living area, a short path leads over the lotus pool to the independent
- Sunset bedroom suite: This is another generous room with cathedral ceiling and a queen sized bed. The spacious dressing area leads through to the bathroom with basin, WC, shower and garden. It has its own pretty patio.
Across the courtyard and opposite the library is another independent building
- Sunrise bedroom suite: As the name suggests, this huge room with its magnificent ceiling and king size bed faces east, towards Mt Agung, and has double doors opening onto a raised deck shaded by a flower-festooned pergola. Steps lead down to the pool and courtyard. There is a big dressing area leading through to the biggest bathroom of all which, again, is partly open to the sky and has its own garden. It is equipped with bath, basin, shower and separate WC.
All the bedrooms have mosquito nets and full air-conditioning, though the house is designed to optimize cooling: all the rooms are shaded by the deep eaves of the alang-alang roofs, and big windows allow refreshing air to flow through freely. There are ceiling fans in all rooms including the living areas.
Additional beds can be supplied, and there is also a very large comfortable daybed in the living area which would make an excellent extra bed. Guests who like the idea of sleeping under the stars could even sleep on the balé!
The Basement is reached by steps from the courtyard and is a very large room with table tennis table, and space to store extra furniture, suitcases etc.
Staff accommodation is situated under the front garden, cleverly cooled by its grass roof. It has its own entrance from the front courtyard car parking area.
The villa is built on almost 3000sq.m. (3/4 acre) so the gardens are generous and have been beautifully planted by a top professional and is maintained on organic principles. Beyond the courtyard and pool, a series of voluptuous ponds echoing the neighboring rice fields and planted with lotus and water lilies cascades down to the orchard, and pretty paths wind between them. The orchard is planted with, among other fruits: avocados, pineapples, mangoes, papayas, bananas, jack fruit, durian, nutmeg, lemons and limes. There is also a herb garden for keen cooks.
The infinity swimming pool is 12m x 4m. Plus a side sitting area. For relaxing there are garden reclining chairs and big sunshades as well as the pretty balé. There is a built-in barbeque adjacent to the balé for al fresco cooking and dining.
Villa Staff and Services
Our house staff will prepare your breakfasts, maintain the house and rooms immaculately, and be on hand to help and advise you.
Villa Sebali’s local manager is Rita Dewi, a renowned Balinese dancer. She has excellent English and can help with any problems and special requests. She will be sure to come to the villa to meet you and ensure that all is well.
Our senior house staff person is Made (pronounced Made) a well educated young man who also has very good English. As well as having considerable hotel experience, Made has run a tour company for individual travelers in Bali so can help with suggestions and plans for things to see and do.
His assistant is Ayu, a delightful young woman who also has some English as does our lovely cook, Ketut. If your party is very large, we can employ extra staff from the village, and babysitters can be arranged.
Breakfasts – eggs, toasts, fresh fruit and juices, tea and coffee – are included in the rental and can be served in the dining room or in your room.
Ketut is an excellent cook and she can prepare lunches, dinners and snack menus which you can help to choose, all at very reasonable prices. Equally, we can advise on restaurants which can deliver, at your cost. And there are dozens – maybe hundreds – of cafes and restaurants within a 20 minute drive of Villa Sebali, from the very modest to top level.
Alternatively, you may use the fully equipped kitchen (hob, oven, microwave) and the barbeque to cook for yourselves (the staff may well be willing to help out too). There is an excellent supermarket just 10 minutes away which has a huge range of foods, both European and Asian, and an organic section. For the adventurous, the market in Ubud provides all manner of local produce.
There is also an excellent health food shop and cafe in Ubud, just off the main street (Jalan Raya), called Bali Buddha.
- A locally usable mobile phone will be supplied.
- All linen is provided.
- We have our own well with very good water, perfect for everyday use. However, as a precaution, filtered drinking water is supplied.
- A hair drier and iron are supplied
Villa Sebali is a non-smoking house
Villa Sebali Rental Rates
Valid From 1st April 2010
|Low (Jan 11 – July 14, Sep 16 – Dec 19)||US$ 475++|
|High (July 15 – Sep 15)||US$ 550++|
|Peak (Dec 20 – Jan 10)||US$ 645++|